Curb appeal is one of if not the most important factors in getting your home sold. A well-maintained yard adds so much to the curb appeal and first impression of a home. Get buyers to want to come inside with some great landscaping.
The current trends for selling outdoor spaces today are “low-maintenance” and “sustainability.” Today’s buyers are looking for yards that look great but don’t need a ton of upkeep and help to sustain the earth and maybe even add to the function of the ecosystem in the area. An outdoor space is also a big trend right now and buyers want to see a space they can entertain, enjoy year-round and feel comfortable and private in.
Landscaping Trends That Sell Homes
Here are today’s most popular landscaping trends:
- Native Plants – This is a great way to add some color and interest to your yard without adding a ton of needed maintenance the plants that naturally thrive in the area you live will need less care than an exotic plant.
- Native and Adapted Drought Tolerant Plants – plants that need less water require less care especially in warmer months.
- Fruit and Veggie Patches – the trend to grow your own food right in your yard is growing and there are many attractive and simple ways to add a small fruit, veggie, or even herb garden to your outdoor space.
- Fire Pits/Places – What better way to get a homeowner imagining themselves enjoying the yard than to add a fire pit?
- Low Maintenance – yards that have huge flower beds and exotic plants are a gardener’s dream but many of today’s buyers want to spend time enjoying their back yard instead of maintaining it.
- Permeable Paving – Permeable paving allows for rainwater to drain through the pavement instead of running off and forming large pools of water elsewhere.
- Drip Irrigation – also referred to as water-efficient or trickle irrigation saves both water and fertilization by allowing water to drip slowly into the roots of plants done through a series of valves, pipes, tubing and emitters. Narrow tubing delivers water directly to the plants.
- Rain Gardens – rain gardens are designed to re-direct gutter water into a planting bed that works like a sponge and filter and lets the water seep into the soil.
- Lighting – the right lighting on a porch or patio will allow you to create an inviting sitting area/outdoor living space which will also have buyers imagining themselves enjoying the space.
- Rainwater and Gray Water Harvesting – collecting the rainwater into a barrel from your spouts allows you to put water where you need it most and is very eco-friendly.
BONUS – As I mentioned before, an outdoor entertainment space is HUGE right now. Consider a patio, outdoor kitchen, outdoor fire pit or even a see-through fireplace from the inside to the outside, although this is an spendy upgrade if you’re selling.
For more advice on getting your home sold or real estate in Sunset Beach NC please feel free to contact us at any time.
More Tips for Sellers:
- No Open Floor Plan? No Problem
- 5 Things You Can Do if Your House Won’t Sell
- 10 Ways to Make a Small Space Seem Larger
- Home Improvements That Increase Home Value