Buying a waterfront home is an exciting thing, but getting the most out of your purchase. Waterfront property owners can indeed use upgrades in their property to boost value to transform their space into a paradise on the water. There are various projects such as constructing a dock for a boat, building a wonderful beach fire pit, decorating with furniture fit for the exterior, and potentially installing an outdoor shower to complete the experience. Continue to read to find 5 great tips on essential upgrades to your waterfront property and what it will need.
1. Build That Dock to Sail From into the Sunset
Many waterfront owners enjoy spending time on the water, which is exactly why living on such property without a dock makes it feel naked. Ensure that a planned or existing pier falls within local regulations because we guarantee it is well worth to effort and investment to do so. A dock is a smart amenity to have at your fingertips for various reasons, including a means of providing easy access to the water, which numerous boats (owned or visiting) can call a safe home, allowing for all sorts of fun, safe backyard Watersports.
It would be worth noting to check which governing bodies regulate the construction of the body of water you live or plan on living on. Smaller docks may not need a permit, such as bigger docks. Deciding early on what kind of water vehicle you are planning on investing in can help to determine what kind of dock will be appropriate.
2. Enjoy S’mores with an Installed Waterfront Firepit
A fun way to enjoy a beautiful night on a waterfront property is by building campfires and grilling on the beach. But before sparking a flame, it is always best to verify with local regulations. It is important to be aware of your surroundings, especially which beaches allow for open fires, as some may offer seasonal permits, while others allow gas grills for cooking year-round. Designing a waterfront pit can make any night special on your stunning property.
3. Invest in Outdoor Comfy Furniture
What beautiful backyard on a waterfront home would be complete without a comfortable way to enjoy the view? Investing in outdoor furniture for your family and guests is a sure way to soak up the sun, enjoy those wonderful sea breezes, and savor the stunning waterfront views in the comfort of your own space. It is always best to do your research on outdoor furniture that can withstand humidity, salt air, and sun so that your purchase lasts longer. For example, high-density polyethylene (HDPE) lumber offers impressive weather resistance, making it a solid choice for outdoor furniture.
Metal may be a popular choice as it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye of many, but HDPE lumber has been shown to fare better in coastal environments, especially when the combination of salt and moisture can cause the metal to erode more quickly. Another great perk to HDPE is that it resits warping due to water damage, and if you live on the waterfront, water is unavoidable. Cushions tend to fade over time in the sun, and if you are looking for comfort, those are a must. The great thing about HDPE is that offers a UV-inhibitor that can prevent outdoor furniture from fading in the sun, ensuring that it looks fresh for many years to come. Outdoor furniture is a great way to complete outdoor spaces, turning them into relaxing living areas that feel inclusive to guests and families alike.
4. Install an Outdoor Shower
An outdoor shower can be an amazing addition to any home, and if you live in a waterfront home, it can be especially useful. After spending some quality or alone time on the beach all day long, an outdoor shower can conveniently rinse off the sand and mud, especially if you don’t want it tracked through your home. There are tons of options for the style of your outdoor shower, as they are easily customizable.
Before investing, consider where and how to install an outdoor shower. They can be freestanding or mounted to a wall, fence, or other solid structure for support. However, drainage and plumbing are a must for this amenity. Keep in mind that a cold shower typically requires a single inlet, while a warm one will need space to allow for two connections. Outdoor showers can come in all sorts of styles and offer numerous features, while a simple showerhead or foot spray can get the job done, shower panels with body jets and hand sprays can provide a luxurious experience for you and your guests.
5. Build an Outdoor Kitchen
Enjoying the outdoors while being able to prep and serve food is a great way to provide the ultimate entertainment space. They are becoming increasingly popular, while there are many benefits to adding an outdoor kitchen to a home, including:
- Increasing Your Home Value: An outdoor kitchen can add further value to a home. If you are thinking of selling your waterfront home in the future, the inclusion of an outdoor kitchen can make the area appear far more attractive to potential buyers.
- Larger Entertainment Space: An outdoor kitchen can provide additional space for entertaining your guests, as you can host parties and gatherings without having to fear missing out on the fun to step inside to prepare a meal. The convenience of an outdoor kitchen is right at your fingertips, without overcrowding inside your home.
- Enjoying the Outdoors: Enjoying the beauty of nature is the beauty of being able to prepare food and cook in your outdoor kitchen. You can relax and entertain guests in your backyard without having to worry about the weather, especially if your outdoor kitchen is covered.
- Increasing Storage Space: An outdoor kitchen can further provide you with abundant space for storage, especially all of your outdoor cooking supplies. This can be especially helpful if you have a smaller kitchen inside of your home.
- Improving Functionality: The addition of an outdoor kitchen space can improve the functionality of your home by providing an additional area to cook and entertain, and if you love to spend a lot of time outdoors, then having an outdoor kitchen can make your life that much easier.