Home maintenance might not be the first thing on your mind as the Christmas season has officially ended, our bellies are full from Thanksgiving feasts, and we are ready to ring in the New Year! While the New Year is just days away, there are a few things homeowners can do to make sure their home is ready for 2024.
11 Tips for 2024 Home Maintenance
- Check the Gutters – It’s easy to forget about the gutters as regular home maintenance, but this is an area that needs to be checked and cleaned often. It’s recommended to clean/empty your gutters at least twice a year.
- Change all Filters – Check the sizes of your air filters and take a quick trip to the store to replace them. In addition to air filters, think of other filters in your home that could use a replacement such as a water filter in your fridge.
- Replace Fire Extinguishers – While they hopefully aren’t needed often, replacing your fire extinguisher annually ensures that you are ready in the event of an emergency to protect your home and family.
- Replace Batteries in Smoke CO2 Alarms – Whether they are beeping or not, replacing your batteries annually is good practice to ensure your safety systems are in proper working order all year long.
- Schedule a Chimney Sweep – If you have a fireplace chimney sweeps are vital, especially as the weather cools and you plan to use your fireplace more frequently.
- Change Your Locks – Whether from house guests, contractors, house sitters etc. sometimes an annual lock change is a great way to keep your home secure and protected.
- Deep Clean the Fridge and Freezer – Check the expiration dates on sauces and dressings, scrub down the shelves and drawers, deodorize, and start 2024 with a sparkling fridge.
- Check Window Sills for Mold – Window sills are prone to mold growth, because of this, a good part of home maintenance is checking and cleaning them frequently is vital. Give them a good cleaning before 2024 to ensure your home is mold free.
- Shampoo the Carpets – It doesn’t matter how good you are at taking off your shoes before going inside, naturally, the carpets accumulate dust and dirt or unexpected spills. If you don’t own one, try renting a carpet cleaner from your local hardware store, or hire a carpet cleaning company to give your carpets a deep clean, starting 2024 fresh.
- Prune Trees and Bushes – Another preventative maintenance item is outside your home. Trimming and pruning trees and bushes not only adds to your curb appeal, but it also helps protect your landscape from pests, or damaged branches.
- Clean the Baseboards – Baseboards are notorious for housing dust and grime, take the time to really scrub them down.
Taking the time to do some preventative home maintenance and keeping your home clean and ready for emergencies by swapping batteries and replacing fire extinguishers ensures that you are ready for a great 2024! Are you adding house hunting to your New Year’s resolutions? We’d love to help, contact us today!